We are currently seeking financial support and volunteers for our MISSION WRESTLING ministry and our new AFTER SCHOOL Ministry.
Our Mission Wrestling ministry motivates and develops youth—building confidence, competence, character, connection, and caring through athletic training and competition. Service opportunities include:
• Event Drivers: Assist in transporting the wrestlers when participating in a travel tournament.
• Drink Donations: We are an athletic ministry with an ever-growing roster. Making sure the children stay hydrated during practice is an ongoing challenge.
• Gym Sanitation: Disinfecting the mats and commonly touched surfaces such as: refrigerator and chairs. It is imperative that we continue to minimize the risk associated with exposure to Covid.
Working with closely low-income youth and their families, we identified the need for further training in literacy and critical thinking skills. Our After School Ministry helps students learn effectively and achieve upward mobility by staying school and finding a path to a profession or further education upon graduation. Our After School Ministry meets 5 days each week to during the school year and also offers summer programming, all focusing on academics and character development. We provide an evening meal for the children each time we meet. Volunteer needs for the After School Ministry include:
• Reading with Children: Literacy rates are a top predictor of overall academic success. Daily reading is a key component to overall reading proficiency.
• Mentoring Children:Children who have consistent positive role models and positive influences are far more likely to have and sustain positive relationships.
• Building Relationships through Play & Field Trips: Many of the children we serve have never experienced life outside of their ZIP codes. Joining on a field trip is a great way to meet children, build relationships with them, and have some fun.
Coming soon is a PARENT EDUCATION program to cultivate stable home environments where children can thrive. Parents will attend training in areas like financial literacy, parenting techniques, and nutrition.
In the first year, our After School Ministry enrolled 14 children from economically disadvantaged households, particularly single-parent households. We plan to double our enrollment for fall of 2022. Growth will expand to 75-80 children and their parents in future years.
Our ministry staff have relevant college degrees and have undergone training including Ministry Safe, Safe Sport, background checks, and training on curriculum and software systems.