Union is more than just a coffee house with a bold heart for Dallas. It’s a home where a community of leaders meets to launch exciting ideas that cause change in our city - and the world. That’s the Union Difference. A finalist for “Organization of the Year (small)” for D CEO’s Nonprofit and Corporate Citizenship Awards 2022, our mission is clear: we work to cultivate the divine spark in our neighbors for the good of Dallas and the world it inspires through outstanding coffee, robust community, and engaging causes. From Shot of Generosity & Rainbow Ink to Naked Stage & Kuneo, Union is a community hub that exists for the well-being of our neighbors.
It’s no secret, the last few years have been challenging. Navigating a pandemic is no easy task, as any organization can attest, and there’s no way we could have weathered the storm without God’s grace and the unwavering support and generosity of others. There’s no way we’d be celebrating our 10th anniversary in November without this community we love so much.In asking for your monetary support, we acknowledge the huge responsibility we are undertaking in being good stewards of the gifts we receive. A huge part of that stewardship is in not just planning for what we think our community needs, but in asking that question of you and then truly listening to what you have to say. You were there for us when we needed you. Now, we want to be there for you. We want to know: what do you want to see from Union? How can we make our next 10 years even more epic than our first 10 years? And how can we serve you?
Now let’s talk about the heart of the matter: where the money goes. Here are some of the things we’re doing with the support we’ve received:
- Creating and curating our outdoor space for performances and community purposes. We were thrilled to lean into our core value of Sanctuary by offering performance space to several theater companies in Dallas during the pandemic.
- Supporting 11 candidates for ordained ministry through the Methodist Church. Providing free WiFi and affordable conference rooms for rent through our coffee shop.
- Investing internally in ongoing LGBTQ+ equity work and making a more intentional commitment to focus on racial equity work by stepping into a year-long Racial Equity Now cohort for nonprofits with Dallas Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation.
- Hosting a multitude of events such as Pride Variety Night, Voter Registration Drives, Open Mic Nights, Rainbow Ink, and The Incredible Race, just to name a few. Each of these events fosters community, advocacy, equity, and sanctuary.
- Investing in and supporting an average of 100 young adults transitioning into leadership each year. In 2021, Union experienced its first-ever pastoral change. Rev. Katie Newsome, previously one of Union’s candidates for ordained ministry and a product of our investment in the leadership development of young adults, returned to us as our (then) new pastor and Executive Director.
Union is so much more than a nonprofit coffee shop or a church. It is a place made up of amazing individuals committed to creating safety and sanctuary for any and all who are looking for a place where they can be authentically themselves. And, with the support and generosity of others, Union is committed to creating new spaces where people - all people - feel seen, heard, and supported.