Since its inception in 1948, Mission Oak Cliff has provided community-based programs that address the critical needs of our community. This year marks our 75 anniversary. In 2022, food prices increased by almost 10% for families in Oak Cliff. This simply isn't sustainable for the families we serve. Research shows one in eight of our neighbors face hunger, and we have the country's fifth-highest hunger rate. That is why Mission Oak Cliff focuses on these community impact areas: food assistance, homeless services, and education programs.
In 2022 we served 22,195 Dallas County residents, including 8,772 on-site visits, representing a 50% increase compared to 2021. Other 2022 programmatic highlights include:
- We provided food assistance by distributing 310,435 pounds of food distributed worth $555,678 based on a $1.79 per pound average.
- We partnered with volunteer groups to serve 18,610 meals to our neighbors experiencing homelessness, representing an 85% increase compared to 2021. This included 150 Thanksgiving meals served by Junior League volunteers.
- We collaborated with three Dallas ISD Schools to identify 21 qualified families to participate in our bi-weekly Food2Families grocery delivery program.
- We shared 2,080 outfits from the clothing closet with people in our community experiencing homelessness.
- We distributed 340 backpacks filled with school supplies to help alleviate the financial burden of families with school-aged children.
We rely on donors, volunteers, and community partners to sustain Mission Oak Cliff and are committed to responsibly using all gifts. Our programs are 100% supported by donors, volunteers, and community partners and 72 cents of every dollar received goes to breaking the cycle of poverty. Last year 251 volunteers contributed $117,651 in donated time. Thank you to our 2022 donors, volunteers, and community partners. We need your continued support now more than ever!
During North Texas Giving Day, we endeavor to raise funding to increase our capacity to meet the growing needs of Oak Cliff. Our goal is to raise $35,000 to support the expansion of our programs, including food assistance through the choice market and Food2Families grocery delivery program. In addition, we hope to expand our outreach effort to people in our community experiencing homelessness. Finally, we are exploring partnerships to conduct a community needs assessment better to understand our community's adult education and counseling needs.