Special North Texas Giving Tuesday Now Volunteer Opportunity
Encouraging Notes and Card Shower: a family friendly virtual event benefiting The Senior Source that we can do TOGETHER while we distance.
- Channel your inner artist and join us to create cards and notes of encouragement to delight the residents and staff at a senior living facility. Due to heightened health, safety and welfare concerns, many elderly residents are more isolated than ever to avoid COVID-19 transmission. This project is designed to lift their spirits.
- Bring your art and writing supplies to create masterpiece(s) of encouragement. Register here and we will gather via GoToMeeting:
Please join this meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone at the date and time specified https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/790326901
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
- United Way of Metropolitan Dallas virtual volunteer opportunities
- Points of Light virtual volunteering opportunities
- Voly.org Urgent Needs and Virtual Opportunities where new opportunities, many virtual, are listed daily including the number of volunteers needed and time commitment.
- Dallas Animal Services – Foster a cat or dog in your home- Save a Life! – DAS needs YOUR HELP NOW. We are at our highest capacity since November 2019 for large dogs and urgently need adopters and fosters to avoid euthanizing for space.
- Dallas Pets Alive – Foster a pet save a life – or purchase needed items from Dallas Pets Alive Amazon Smile Wishlist
Arts, Science and Culture
- Perot Museum of Nature and Science – get the whole family involved in a fun project to share with students and future visitors – Create one or many crossword puzzles using nature and science themes you might find at the museum. While there are many online puzzle generators, you may find it more enjoyable to brainstorm and create on paper, check out these instructions. The crosswords will be used to entertain and engage guests who wait in line for an exhibit or event to start. Email your finished masterpiece to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children and Youth
- United to Learn - Participate in Virtual Career Days or High School Students can make videos as part of this video series. We’re especially excited about Spanish-speakers creating videos!
- Vogel Alcove - Volunteer Video Story Time - Record a video of yourself reading a children’s story using your phone or other camera device. Age appropriate children’s books about caring, love, learning concepts, family, or any fun concept books for ages birth through age 4. Email the file to Heather Bradford at email@example.com.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – The need for safe, strong, active mentoring relationships is as great as it has ever been! Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, Big Brothers Big Sisters continues its mission to serve young people. They have adapted much of their programming to virtual environments so that the mission can continue to move forward. You can be part of BBBS outcomes driven, one-to-one mentoring model that works. Learn more, Be a Big.
- North Texas Food Bank – Social Media Ambassador Program
- North Texas Food Bank Be a Hunger Hero – Organize a Focused Food Drive to gather a single kind of item. Most needed items are: Canned Tuna or Chicken; Peanut Butter; Cereal Bars; Canned Fruit in juice. Learn more about NTFB COVID-19 Response.
The Senior Source Friendly Visitors Program has two additional opportunities below and offered 10 facilities (most with 100 – 150 residents one with 300) to adopt. If you would like to adopt a facility, email Kymberlaine Banks, firstname.lastname@example.org for contact details. For these options below they suggest ordering from Amazon, Target or Michaels for delivery.
- Donate items residents can enjoy while in isolation: (New Items Only) playing cards, Checkers, Dominoes, paint-by-numbers, basic craft kits, adult coloring books & color pens/markers, coloring sheets, activity sheets, word search books, puzzle books, etc.
- Treats: (No homemade please): Pre-packaged assorted sandwich crackers, small bags of assorted chips, soft Cheetos, cookies, fruit snacks, jello and pudding cups, diet & regular canned/plastic bottled drinks). Include sugar-free options.
- Virtual Meal Delivery – Make calls once a week to check on our Meals on Wheels clients using the VNA Meals on Wheels mobile delivery app. Volunteers must register and be onboarded to participate. Get started here.
- Handmade Greeting Cards – Create greeting cards that will be delivered twice a week and will surely make a senior smile. To make a card/s, please follow these guidelines:
- We can only accept 8 ½ x 11 sheets folded in half – lengthwise or horizontal will work!
- Write a simple message in large print, draw pictures, sign with your first name only
- Please do not place cards in envelopes
- Please do not attach any decorative items, such as glitter or raised stickers, that can fall off.
- Mail or drop off completed cards on Mondays and Wednesdays between 9am and 11 am in the marked box located at: VNA/Meals on Wheels Kitchen, 1440 W. Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, TX 75247
- Tarrant Transportation Alliance – Transit Operation Appreciation Project – Trinity Metro is providing essential services of moving people to jobs and to services they need such as medical visits and grocery store runs. Here are three meaningful activities to brighten their day: 1) Donate or sew a mask; 2) Make a card or write a letter; 3) Donate hand sanitizer or cleaning supplies. Find instructions here or in this Facebook event