SECOND THOUGHT THEATRE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION MISSION
Theater is a communal experience. Artists meet audiences in a celebration of creativity,
expression, and life. This celebration is at its fullest when both the artists and the audience bring
with them their own unique and diverse backgrounds. Second Thought Theatre strongly believes
that it will create the best possible theater only when it operates with an eye toward ensuring that
everyone has an opportunity to participate, everyone is included, everyone feels welcome, and
everyone is represented.
As such, Second Thought actively seeks to create art that helps our community evolve towards
greater acceptance of those who are different than ourselves. By focusing on topics and works
that make you “think again,” Second Thought challenges its artists and audiences to recognize
and stand up against issues of inequality and injustice.
Through its equity initiatives, Second Thought will continue its focus on the greater Dallas
community and all of the things that make it unique, diverse, inclusive, and wonderful while
continuing to stand against elements of intolerance and injustice that threaten those that deserve
to be just as welcome to participate. Second Thought is committed to the following initiatives,
among others, that it believes will not only accomplish the above, but also enhance the theater
experience for its artists, staff, board, and audiences.
● Second Thought will prioritize empowering diverse perspectives in all aspects of our
organization including play selection, casting, staffing, and board recruitment.
● Second Thought will produce at least one BIPOC playwright and employ at least one
BIPOC director per year.
● Second Thought will dedicate itself to works that celebrate the human experience while
confronting uncomfortable issues that detract from it.
● Second Thought will seek out artists from a diverse set of backgrounds that will allow it
to tell honest stories in a way that bolsters inclusion and provides opportunities to all.
● Second Thought will support the local Dallas artist community - producing works by
local writers; engaging local actors, directors, and producers; contracting local designers.
● Second Thought will compensate its artists and staff fairly and equitably.
● Second Thought will make staffing and casting decisions in a manner that prioritizes the
contributions that the individual can make to the organization and does not discriminate
against anyone for any reason.
● Second Thought will reach out to underserved and under-represented communities and
provide opportunities to attend its performances without financial hardship.
● Second Thought will recruit members to its Board of Directors that believe in and work
to support its mission with the goal of having at least 20% of directors from communities
of color by 2025.